Put a ring on it

“I went to the pick up some plans this afternoon, and the printing guy was so totally hitting on me,” I bragged to Mark.

“What’d he say?” asked a clearly unimpressed Mark.

“First, he was all winky-winky and smiley at me. And then when I was signing the receipt he looked at my ring and said, ‘Wow, somebody loves you’. It was so obvious that he wanted me. But he was backing off because the ring is huge.”

At this point Mark is looking all kinds of smug. He loves that, at first glance, it looks like I’m sporting some major bling on my all-important finger.

I continued, “I told the dude I am loved very much but not to be too impressed because it was my birthstone, not a diamond.”

Why did you have to say that?” cried Mark.

“Because it’s lying to let him think that I have diamond. And our love is not in the jewelry we wear, but in. our. hearts. So quit your crying ya big baby.”

The size of my ring has been a point of contention in our relationship from the first time we started talking about getting married.

Mark wanted to get me something big. Something that said a bigger dog has peed here so quit sniffing this woman was indeed spoken for.

I, on the other hand, wanted something small and simple.  I had heard that, among other things, Gen Y marriages were doomed from the start because we thought we should have everything our parents had (and then some) within the first few years of marriage.  I wanted a simple ring to symbolize that we were just starting out, that our Us was new.  I wanted room to grow, and I wanted the bling on our 50th wedding anniversary.  When we deserved it.

We met in the middle with a ring that is, in my opinion, huge, yet made with a simple aquamarine stone, my birthstone.  And I’ll be honest, I fretted for weeks about the decision to go with the aquamarine stone because I kept thinking, “Everyone gets a diamond, does this mean our love is not as real??”  I got over it easily when he proposed, though, because it was absolutely perfect for me.

I’m curious, what do you guys think about engagement rings?  What kind do you have/want?  Does size matter?  Do you think the rings “say” anything about a relationship?  Does anyone have anything inscribed on their rings?

7 thoughts on “Put a ring on it

I think your ring is beautiful!! I also think that it “fits” you. If that makes any sense? 🙂

As for my thoughts on engagement rings, I love mine. I think as long as you love it, then it’s perfect for you!! Mine, as you know, is a round solitaire. I think it’s classic and simple, like me! 🙂 So it’s perfect!

As for a ring saying something about the relationship, I don’t think that they do. At least I had never thought about it like that before…so I don’t really know.

Thomas’s band has something inscribed in it. He doesn’t like me to tell people that though. He likes it to be “our secret”. ha! Look who he married though. Fat chance of that staying a secret!

PS. I love that Beyonce song! I do think it’s a little weird for me to sing along since I’m married. I do think it’s appropriate though since it took us so long to get married! ha!!

• Marie says:

CT, thank you. I love your ring, too, and you are very elegant 😀 And I just love Thomas, that’s adorable that he wants to keep it between you two only. I love the Beyonce song, too!!! It’s way too catchy, even Mark loves to sing along. Which is hilarious.

Steph, that is so sweet, the thought really does count, doesn’t it?? And it’s such a great example of the kind of love we have that says I love you even if you aren’t perfect, ya know? And I’ll definitely keep you in my prayers!

2. Stephanie says:

I have an “i love you” ring that Ryan got me for christmas 2007. It’s definately not something that i would have picked out myself, but i wear it everyday regaurdless. The other day i was talking to a friend about how ugly i thought it was and Ryan had overheard, it definately hurt his feelings. I had to explain that i wear it everyday because it was something he picked out himself with me in mine and that the ring itself holds the meaning, not the way it looks.

3. Linda says:

you say it very well Stephanie, go girl!!

4. Rebekah says:

Hey Marie!
    Love your blog. I had to comment! I actually didn’t even care if I got an engagement ring, and didn’t think I was getting one, but he surprised me!! It definitely was one that I would not have picked out for myself, but I love it because he picked it out for me! His ring is inscribed with Song of Solomon 5:16 ” This is my beloved and my friend” since we were friends for so long before we dated. I would’ve been totally happy with a band and no diamond, so I know exactly what you’re saying!!

• Marie says:

Rebekah, thanks! I love yours, too… your boys are precious. And I love what is written in his ring… that is a wonderful verse and it’s so important to a marriage. So sweet 🙂

5. Xjaeva says:

I love the questions at the end!
    I think rings do say something about a relationship.
    I’M not married but I like to imagine my engagement ring as a flat round ring with a diamond set inside the platnum, white gold or silver. I have a thing about rings catching on stuff. But, since I’m not married and not going to be for awhile it’s hard to say. Sometimes people surprise me with things I didn’t know I was going to like!