Write that book

In the movie How to Lose Friends & Alienate People there is a scene where the horrible boyfriend tells the clueless girl to quit carrying “that book” around with her.  He says it’s embarrassing.

That book was the novel she was working on.  She was passionate about that book.  Her dream was becoming reality through that book.  For her there was nothing embarrassing about it.

I truly believe that everyone has some version of that book living inside their soul.   Maybe you have that job, that song, that child, that idea; something inside you is waiting to become reality.

I also believe that God made relationships to help us write that book.  We need the loves of our lives to be supportive, encouraging, even to believe for us sometimes.  The special people in our lives should never treat our dreams as embarrassing or petty.  Our relationships are designed to be the soil where we plant our dreams.

Write that book.  And don’t settle for anything less than a co-author.

9 thoughts on “Write that book

1. Nisha says:

This is such a cute post. I agree, relationships are supposed to be supportive. I haven’t seen the movie but that guy sounds like a douche. How did the movie end?

• Marie says:

Nisha, thanks! And he was a douche, and more importantly she ends up with the guy that respected her book and took the time to help her edit it. I didn’t think I would, but I actually really liked the movie.

Mom, I think that’s one of the best things about God is that he made us with dreams and ideas. 😀

2. Linda says:

Amen to that marie!!! You are so good to put it in words. It is so true…I also think it is God who is putting that in our heart to write that book.

You are so smart Marie! 🙂

CT, thanks 🙂 And I had such a great time at lunch the other day… next, we go shopping and you teach me your tricks, k? Wonderful.

LOL! I had so much fun too!! We should get together more often!!

I can try to teach you my cheap ways. 🙂 You may hate them though.

Here’s one little trick. Before buying anything on the internet, go to http://www.retailmenot.com and look for a coupon code. I’ve also heard that you can use http://www.couponcabin.com. I don’t use it but I think it would be good.

6. A great way to sum up relationships. You need stories in order to write them.

7. Michelle says:

Relationships are to help us write “that book.” Hmm, very interesting thought. I like it. It is challenging — in what we expect from our partners as well as the support we give to our partners.

I am at a point where if I am going to be a co-author, I have to start a new book of my own.

And, I love that your mom comments on your blog!

8. Jamie says:

Thank you. That just inspired me to the umpteenth degree. So short and sweet. You’re pretty brilliant.