Hummus, will you marry me?

A few weeks ago my friend, Susan, told me about a new restaurant she had recently found and loved.  Never one to pass up great food that I don’t have to cook, I asked for details about the restaurant.  She said the food was Mediterranean…

She gave more details, but I pretty much quit listening when I heard “Mediterranean”.  This is not because I have anything against Mediterranean people or their food, it just wasn’t something I had ever tried before and I don’t try new things.  It’s like a law of physics except it’s not.

Well, Susan is sneaky and invited me to lunch.  Unfortunately, I said yes before I asked her where we were going.  Turns out she wanted “Mediterranean”, and that’s where were headed.  I’m not going to lie.  I prayed her car would break down in front of a McDonald’s, it’s true.

Her car did not break down, and before I knew it we were sitting in a quaint little restaurant with really cool music.  I comforted myself with the knowledge that there is not a single restaurant in Nashville, TN that does not serve chicken tenders and fries and that I could just order that.  I would be ok.

Yeah, this restaurant (if you could really call it that) didn’t have chicken tenders.  Or fries.  I wondered if it would be rude to just drink water.  I didn’t have the heart to do that, so I ordered what Susan ordered.  I reasoned that we shared the same birthday so we would possibly have the same tastebuds, too.

Before our meal came the waiter brought out the Mediterranean equivalent to rolls and butter, pita bread and hummus.  Umm, hummus?  Isn’t that a bird?

Susan dug right in, so I decided to try a little.  A very tiny, little, itty bitty bite.

And my world changed right then and there.

The heavens opened up and I realized that I did not truly know God or His goodness until that very moment.  The moment that I first tasted hummus.

Hummus is, in a word, amazing.  After my lunch date I went straight to Kroger’s to get my very own hummus and pita bread so that I could eat it whenever I wanted to.  I have also recently learned that you can put hummus on more than just pita bread.  So, I don’t even call what I do at the grocery store shopping anymore.  No, I call my trips to Kroger’s ‘hunting’. Hunting for things to put hummus on.  Because I love it that much.

As of today I’ve put Hummus (it’s going to be capitalized from now on because it deserves the respect of a proper noun) on pita bread, bagel chip-things, a banana, and these thin mini bread slices.  I’m just kidding about the banana.

What food do you love?  Would you put Hummus on it?  What do you put Hummus on?  If the only thing you were ever served was Hummus and bread would you consider that a “problem”?  Mark says yes.

And thank you, Susan, for introducing me to the love of my life.

20 thoughts on “Hummus, will you marry me?

1. Mandy says:

Also, being from the Midwest I was not introduced to hummus until I moved to the East coast after college. It is fabulous. Try dipping baby carrots or green peppers in it. I tend to get the garlic or red pepper flavored hummus, but recently tried chipotle and it has a great little kick. Great little snack and easy to make too! Make sure you have a med sized food processor because it was difficult with my tiny one. Also, pitas taste better if warmed up for a few seconds with a little olive oil in a flying pan. So good 🙂
    Good luck!

• Marie says:

Mandy, now the vegetable thing is intriguing. And good point about how to heat the pita bread up, that was part of what made the restaurant pita/Hummus pair so wonderful. The pita was all kinds of warm. Thanks for the advice!

Michelle, when I read your comment I laughed for like 5 minutes… I HAVE BEEN TO THE MEDITERRANEAN. I’m such a dork! But I’m 110% sure that I did not eat Hummus. It’s like sleeping with Matthew McConaughey (sp?), you know if you have. And loving the toaster idea because I actually have one of those. A food processor, not so much. At least not yet, anyways 😀

Crystal, I’m so glad to join! Best decision ever. I will definitely get these “spicier” suggestions since I’ve pretty must stayed with the regular stuff. I didn’t want to stray and become disappointed. And oreo’s? Seriously? I love it.

Real Food Lover, an expert on the subject! Yes! And what wonderful suggestions on where to use it… the more places to put it the better, if I say so myself.

Susan, I’m in love with Hummus. I’ve been holding my breath waiting for someone to say, “Hummus is bad for you! It raises your cholesterol! And kills kittens!” But apparently this is some really good stuff. And yes, please have some. Or I could just bring my own tub. It’s whatev. 😀

2. Michelle Ziegler Ashburn says:

Marie– You traveled to Italy and Greece. You have had Mediterranean food.
    My favorite- Cut a pita in half (so it will fit in the toaster) and lightly toast it. Then, put capital H-Hummus on it. Delicious.

Also, Hummus is pretty and cheap to make.

3. Crystal says:

Marie,

I see that hummus has lured you in with it’s sexy, smooth chick-pea’d self…congratulations and welcome to the club. May I suggest a personal favorite? Go to Kroger immediately and buy Sabra Roasted Red Pepper hummus and Stacy’s Tuscan Herb pita chips. Then go home and secretly devour half the tub of hummus and the bag of pita chips. You might want to buy a second tub of hummus because it is THAT good.

ps: oreo’s taste great with anything…even hummus.

4. realfoodlover says:

Hummus is a wonder food. It’s made from wholefoods so super-healthy, yet delivered in the form of a smooth and tasty comfort food. I make my own and could eat it at every meal. Use it as you would cheese: add to toast or cooked rice or pasta or even fried eggs.

I too would marry hummus.

5. Susan says:

AND IT’S GOOD FOR YOU…AMAZING!

6. Susan says:

And I’d really had no idea you’d like it so much. Guess that means I need to put it on the menu for Saturday…I usually put it on Wheat Thins.

7. Rebekah says:

Hummus is yummus.

• Marie says:

Rebekah, I would wear a shirt with that written on it. Just bein’ real.

Nisha, thank you so much! So remember when you wrote that post about Obama when he won the election and you went on and on about Chicago politics and you ended it with “Don’t f— it up.”? Easily the best line in blogging history.

Real Food Lover, you are very welcome! Y’all should check her site out, very informative!

Brianna, that sounds to die for. You guys don’t know how happy all these Hummus recipes are making me!

8. Marie, you have such a great voice. Your writing is so funny. Have I told you how jealous I am?

9. realfoodlover says:

I am chuffed at being called an expert. Thank you!

10. Another yummy use for hummus…

Put a thin layer of hummus on half of a wheat English muffin. On the other half of the muffin, put a slice of Swiss cheese. Put each half of the English muffin in the toaster oven. Heat just until the Swiss cheese is melted. Now, this is heaven, in my opinion. : )

11. realfoodlover says:

Thanks for the name-check, Marie!

I also wrote a blog when Obama got elected – with similar sentiments…

And do leave a comment next time you visit – that would be grrrrrrrreat!

Elisabeth

12. Teresa Wu says:

Came across your blog via Rebecca of modite — I’m currently studying abroad in Cyprus and hummus is a daily staple. It’s way cheaper than it is in the U.S. and my roommates and I literally go through buckets of it! Loveeeee hummus.

13. ash says:

Do you have a clubstore near you? I buy the Sabra brand of hummus at BJ’s. They have a 10-pk of individual hummus servings in many different flavors. I love the Sabra brand because they make the creamier version…so yum!

Teresa, that’s so cool that you’re studying in Cyprus! What a great experience, not to mention all the Hummus.

Crystal & Ash, I just bought the Sabra stuff and it. is. awesome. Thanks!

15. Elisabeth says:

I agree. When it comes to shop-bought hummus, Sabra is omigod-I-have -to-eat-the-whole pot…

16. Crystal says:

I too am a Hummus lover. I am going to Greece in October and I plan to have it at every meal. An attainable goal I think.
    I have only had Hummus with the pita bread or wheat thins. I, too, will have to try some of the new recipes.

• Marie says:

Crystal, that is so cool that you’re going to Greece! Is it vacation, or something more than that? How fun! I went to Greece for my senior trip and LOVED IT. And these new recipes are too fun… I feel like my world has been significantly expanded 😀

17. Holley says:

This is so funny. I just told my friend I wanted to marry the hummus I was eating.

Great minds think alike 😀