Boomer + Gen Y = Love

I had no plan after graduating from college.  Tennessee Tech just kind of vomited me out in to the real world and I was told to just deal with it.  Not my definition of a fun time, but such is life.

For me, graduation meant moving home and figuring out where to go for grad school.  In the middle of this lostness I decided to email my church and see if they had any where to use me.  I had always thought working with the young girls would be fun, and dreamed of one day being a mentor to a young lady like others had been for me.

I started helping out with the Acteens on Wednesday nights and fell in love with all the girls in the group.  I don’t know that there is any better way to gain perspective on what it means to be young or a woman than placing yourself before teen girls as a role model.  The experience forced me to change my attitude and speech towards relationships, physical beauty and self esteem because these girls were paying very close attention.

The most wonderful part of helping out with Acteens, however, was not in becoming a mentor.  It was in finding a mentor.  Susan was already leading the Acteens and I came on as her assistant.  Over time we found that we had many things in common, namely a passion for our faith & community and a birthday (with just a couple of years between us).  She has taught me so much about what it means to be a servant and a leader.  When to listen and when to speak up.  We’ve believed in each other, prayed for each other, and loved each other for the past 4 years.  She is one of my very best friends.

When I came across Sam Davidson’s vlog about going to lunch with another generation I immediately thought of me and Susan.  We were from different generations.  And we did lunch all the time.  And we are in the middle of starting a non-profit, CreateFaith, which is currently focused on helping Boomer-aged adults become proficient with various computer skills.

We were exactly what Sam was talking about!

So we went to lunch.  And caught it on video.  And we’re showing it to you here.  We’re thinking of making it a “series” where Gen Y and Baby Boomer will duke it out… over tea.  Sweet tea.  Because we’re in the South.  And that’s how we roll.

NoteThere is a point where Susan asks how many people read my blog, and I’m going to say hundreds.  Which is true.  Kind of.  See, there were hundreds of people reading my blog for like a week in February.  I was excited and told everyone about it that week.  I’m not going to lie.  I was the nerd that bragged about blog stats that probably aren’t even accurate.  And I never really went back to correct myself.  Because I’m going to be a blogging superstar, darn it.  Even if it’s only in my imagination.

Enjoy!

6 thoughts on “Boomer + Gen Y = Love

1. Susan says:

Too funny! Thanks for all the sweet things you said. You’re the best.
    (and you didn’t have to fess up to your blog stats-nobody sees them but you and God-and He is very forgiving!)

You’re very welcome and I meant every word! And good point about the confession… didn’t really think of that, you’re so wise 😀

I love it that you are making videos! Too funny! Now you need to do some karaoke and post it!!

It was kind of fun. I was so nervous (because I’m sure the loud laughter didn’t give that away :p). I don’t think I put it up here, but did you see the video I did for Scoop Away on Alice.com? http://blog.alice.com/2009/03/26/video-keep-your-pet-comfortable-and-your-bathroom-clean/

I’m having way too much fun with this video stuff. I don’t know if I’m having karaoke level fun, but I’m having fun 😀

3. Bryan says:

“Susan asks how many people read my blog, and I’m going to say hundreds. Which is true. Kind of”

I lol’ed at this. I read your blog and I’m at least 87 people. That means as long as you have at least 23 other readers, it wasn’t a lie.

I‘m not even sure what it means to be 87 people 😀 But if you’re going to support the idea that I’m not lying I’ll take it.

4. Sam Davidson says:

This is great! I’m so glad you both did lunch and caught it on video! I love this series – keep it up!

Thanks, Sam! We had fun so we plan on keeping it up. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

I saw the scoop away video. Nala doesn’t seem quite ready to be a video/movie star just yet. lol 🙂 You on the other hand…were fab-u-lous!

So if you won’t karoke, what about a dance? I’m thinking the Britney Spears song Lucky a la Phi Mu’s recruitment. You should do that dance!! ha! The only part I remember is the she’s a star part! If you can remember it and reteach it to me, I’ll be in the video with you! LOL

Ha, Nala was pissed. I did like 20 takes of that video and he was SO done with the whole thing. Such a diva.

Ok, I was totally thinking about that dance the other day! How weird that you bring it up! I don’t remember ANY of it, not even the star part you speak of, but I’d be willing to walk down Memory Lane and recreate the magic if anyone remembers the dance. The other Susan? Morgan? Crystal? Anyone?

6. Crystal says:

I can’t remember it either. If you recreate it, I will gladly watch it. 🙂

Don’t think I didn’t catch that, missy. Watch? Watch? Where’s your Phi Mu spirit? You know that you only get out what you put in, right??? 😀