Take Care

A few years ago my mom gave me a birthday card, and in it she wrote:

“I am thankful God trusted me to take care of you…”

On the front end it seems like a simple thought, but what if that was true?  What if the people that were put in our lives, the families we were born into, the friends we’ve made, the lovers we’ve committed to, were put there because God trusted us to take care of them?

For you to understand what this means in my world you have to understand that I believe God loves us.  Like crazy loves us.  I believe that we are each an individual and precious masterpiece in his eyes.

And God trusts me with his beloved creations???

I’m not going to lie.  My immediate reaction to being trusted by God to take care of people he loves is, “Take it back! Take it back! TAKE IT BACK!”

I’ve never been the biggest fan of responsibility.

Unfortunately, the other thing I believe about God is that he equips us to do his will, and I believe his will is to love others.  So as much as I don’t always believe in my ability to love others, I do believe in God’s ability to do so.

This may seem random, but some days this idea that God trusts us to take care of each other is the only way my world makes sense.

Because as harsh as this may sound, there are times when loving Mark is hard.  There are times when the only needs I want to care about are my own.

And then I remember that Mark truly is a gift who is in my life because God trusts that I can take care of him.

Wow.

There are days when I’m watching couples treat each other like crap and I wonder, “Why on earth am I trying to help people love each other better?  Everyone is so screwed up!  What’s the point in trying?”

And then I remember that the God I know wants something better for them, he wants them to take care of each other.  And there are times he’s going to use me to show them that.

Amazing.

The days when my brain can understand this are the days that the world makes sense to me.

Who are you taking care of?

Those who are without friends, God puts in families…
Psalms 68:6

13 thoughts on “Take Care

1. Chelsea says:

That’s beautiful Marie. And something I will probably hold onto forever. Thank you for posting that.

I think God needs a high five for putting all of these amazing blog friends in my life!

(PS- I thought this post was going to end with “And I’m pregnant… so apparently God really trusts me to take care of someone!”)

2. Susan says:

Well said, precious friend. Well said.

3. Linda says:

You know, theres a lot of people you met that are hard to get along with much more to love but, when you honor God’s Word love others as you love yourself it make me think twice. I always tell myself to focus on the good side of the person and it does helps a lot .

I think that’s really sweet that your mom wrote that to you. The whole thought of being responsible for someone else’s life pretty much scares me.

5. Connie says:

I am so glad God has trusted you!! And that I am in your life and you are in mine!!!!!!!!!!

6. Paul says:

To be a conduit of God’s love. It would be so much easier if I would just get out of the way. But I guess being here, is kind of the whole point. Thanks for writing this Marie.

7. Rebekah says:

I have actually had the same thought your mother had. I can’t believe God is trusting me again!! I am so happy that I know you and those “little” insights are part of what makes you a great therapist!

8. Monica says:

WOW honey! I love this post. It was exactly what I needed to read today. I think I’m going to tape it up on the wall, just in case I forget it!

Amazing and timely.

thank you.

Marie?? Sniff, sniff…Please blog! I miss your daily ramblings. Sniff, sniff….

10. […] when I read beautiful things written by beautiful people it makes me really happy and my faith in the world is restored (at […]

I’m so behind, but thanks for everyone’s comments and I’m so thankful to have all of you as friends or family in all the various forms 😀

12. […] daily basis to show me what dependence and trust in Him could look like. I don’t know why He trusted me with you, but I’m more thankful than I’ll ever be able to […]

13. […] I remembered something my mom said, “I am thankful God trusted me to take care of […]