Missed Connections by Marie

Rebecca at Modite never fails to inspire me with her encouraging and thought-provoking ideas on career and life in general. I mean, it’s her fault that the entire Internet is trying to workout more and perform better at work. No one wants to look bad on #goalmeetup day.

Lately she’s been awesome at updating the Design & Style section of her site. I’m loving the goodness that she has been introducing to me. One of those nuggets of goodness was this post on Missed Connections. You know, those posts on Craigslist where you lament about not talking to the 7 foot model sitting next to you on the bus ride home. Well, an artist started using those Craigslist missed connection posts as inspiration and they’re pretty awesome.

So awesome, in fact, that I took a stab at illustrating my OWN recent missed connection. The Garfield cat that was hanging out on my doorstep before I left for work one morning. I chased it down, in the rain, trying to give it a can of Fancy Feast.

This “art” is dedicated to That Cat.

I really don’t have too much time on my hands. I just spend it weird.

Oh, and because I want to keep this real, I DID post an actual Missed Connection on Craigslist. For the cat.

missed connections
(media: highlighters on my desk, pencil on my desk, red sharpie on my desk, and paper from the “oops, didn’t mean to print that” bin)

12 thoughts on “Missed Connections by Marie

LOL! You’re hilarious. I can’t believe you actually posted a missed connection. Makes me heart you even more.

Aw, thanks. You’re my muse 😀

I’ve never heard of these “missed connections” before. Great, Marie! One more thing on the internet that I will have to start “stalking”. j/k 😉

I know! I knew about them but always thought they were just for weird people and then I saw the dude doing art and I was all, “That’s kinda cool…”

3. Miranda says:

A masterpiece Marie 🙂

When will we be able to find this on Esty.com?

P.S. Um, can I find a job like yours where I get to draw pictures with sharpies and left over paper all day? Or is that more of a ‘start up’ venture… b/c, if so, we should TOTALLY go get a business license tomorrow.

My job rocks doesn’t it? Ha. And it IS a startup! A little thing I like to call Unemployment 😀 (just kidding)

4. Angelia says:

ROFL! That is fantastic! What a brilliant idea. This is a marvelous example of how there is art to be found in everything!

By the way…I love reading your blog and I’m passing an award on to you.

I think that’s what I loved the most about the missed connections, that you can find art ANYWHERE!

Oh, I read about the award this weekend! I’m so excited and I’ll get that done tonight 😀

5. oneclassymama says:

I absolutely loved that you made a drawing!! You crack me up!

I think there is something wrong with my brain. Heh.

6. […] checking email and doing serious research on cartoons from my childhood I found this entertaining missed connection for a cat posted by Marie on her blog. Thought it might tickle some of […]

7. Eliot Sykes says:

How did your cats feel about you having an affair with a cat outside the family? They look a bit upset in your drawing. My cat would have been peeved.

Great pic Marie, I’ve posted it on the blog below, hope that’s ok:

Eliot

So can I tell you how excited I am that you were able to see the angst in my cats’ faces? Oh, they were peeved. They heard me snap open that can of fancy feast and then saw me dart out the door chasing after The Other Cat. I’m sure they were heartbroken.

And I love your blog, thanks for stopping by!

• Eliot Sykes says:

Thanks for kind words about my blog Marie!

I’ve got a funny feeling you two will be reunited one day.

I reckon you should leaflet your neighbourhood and use dry treats – your love interest could be a dry food cat that is scared by the wet unknown world of Fancy Feast.

Eliot, do you know that the cat was there when I got home from work yesterday. Your funny feeling was right! I’m now a missed connection success story. How cool is that? 😀

8. Michelle Ziegler Ashburn says:

Love it!

Ha, thanks!

9. Veda says:

Your drawing is pretty great!!

Aw, thanks!

10. […] out other people’s Facebook statuses. I guess I was inspired by that one guy who draws out missed connections just a little too […]