I promise I’m sober and Treena won

Let me explain my history with alcohol.

I refused to drink until I turned 21 because I was all over being pretentiously holier-than-thou during college. In a cute and approachable way, of course.

When I turned 21 I had a margarita and some wine coolers. And by “had” I mean I sipped and gagged and was convinced that I was allergic to alcohol.

For the next year I dated a fraternity guy and went to a few parties with him. I’d have, at most, 2 glasses of something and be convinced that I was drunk as a skunk. I would also insist that I was hungover the next morning because according to that month’s Cosmo greasy food was the cure for a hangover. And I will fake hangovers if it means I get to order a BLT and tater tots for breakfast.

I drank a sample glass of wine at a recent bridal event after which I was once again convinced that I was plastered.

Basically, even if I did enjoy alcohol I can’t tolerate it so it has never seemed like something that would be a part of my life.

Then things changed.

Mark and I had dinner with one of our favorite couples ever and they gave me a glass of merlot. And I drank. Like, a lot. Well, a lot more than I normally drink. And I got this truly delightful buzz.

A few days later I decided we should have some of that “on hand”, you know, “just in case”.

So I bought 3 bottles.

Then the snow hit Nashville and we didn’t have much of anything to survive on. Other than wine that I had recently bought and that we had forgotten we had. And by the end of the weekend we had drank nearly every alcoholic beverage in the house. Or at least it seemed like we had.

We were having oven pizza and wine for nearly every meal. It was like we went on vacation to the snowy part of Italy. And it was awesome.

Boozing it up is totally cool when you’re stuck in the house with no where to go. But when you’re getting ready for work and you’re wondering “Oooh, a glass of wine would make this morning better!” then I’m pretty sure you have a problem.

I think I have a problem.

*just for clarification (Mom) I am not really turning into an alcoholic. And I don’t think alcoholism is funny. I do think it’s funny that I went from puking at the thought of alcohol to almost replacing my morning cup of coffee with it.

7 thoughts on “I promise I’m sober and Treena won

1. Mrs. Smith says:

This makes me smile uncontrollably.

I think a wine night with Marie would cure my soul of all its ills.

Ha, we should totally get together one night. You’d be pretty funny tipsy, too 😀

Yippee! I’m so excited that Treena’s two story house of toothpicks won. lol! I honestly think that’s hilarious!! Please Treena, send Marie a pic of this house!

Good idea, CT! Yes, post pics 😀

Marie, I don’t ever recall seeing you drunk…but I would love to experience that. lol We need to get together again soon!! Hopefully next time, there won’t unexpected company showing up!

Ha, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you drunk either! And we’re sorority sisters… that just seems wrong, right? Ah, can’t wait to hang with you again!

4. Angelia says:

I am a wine lover! For my birthday I always throw myself a wine and cheese party. To get in the door you have to bring your favorite wine and favorite cheese. So fun!

That is a brilliant idea. A wine and cheese fee. I haven’t done cheese and whine, but I have done cheezits and wine 😀

5. Treena says:

Secret Agent…if I was smart enough to upload a picture I definitely would, but I’m not that computer literate. And yay for me, but I promise to share it with anyone who would like to use it:-)

You probably can’t use it until next winter! Hopefully it will be finished by then!

6. Monica Evans says:

Awwww, you like merlot! I LOVE merlot! We are definitely meant to be friends. I need to plan another trip to N-ville so I can witness this for myself. I’ll bring you some of our fine Atlanta wine 🙂

We are! Ha you do need to come here, or maybe me there, and drink some fancy Atlanta merlot together. That? Would be a blast.

7. Crystal says:

Merlot is great. You should try some Red Zinfandel. I recommend Gnarly Head. Good stuff.