This one isn’t about a baby. Unless it’s furry.

Me: Do you like hugging?

Mark: Yeah. I guess so.

Me: When you see cows do you want to hug them?

Mark: …

Me: I want to give the cows hugs.

I love hugging. The weird thing is that I’m not one of those people that will initiate a hugreeting (hug + greeting, people. Keep up) because I don’t know how other people feel about hugging. And there is nothing worse than the awkwardness of starting to hug someone who only wants a handshake. Ugh. Makes my stomach hurt thinking about it.

Needless to say, I’m not hugging you unless you come at me with the arms wide open.

Animals are a different story, though. Animals can’t embarrass me with a handshake. And I’m finding myself wanting to hug every single animal that comes my way.

I don’t settle for simply petting my cats most of the time. I pick them up and give them old-fashioned hugs. I see stray cats and dogs and I wonder first about their desire for a hug before I think about them needing food or water. And there is this farm thing that I pass everyday on the way to work and when I’m lucky the light turns red and I get the opportunity to sit and stare at the various furry animals behind the fence. And all I think the whole time I sit there is “Gosh, you look like you need a  hug, Mr. Billy Goat.”

And he does need a hug! All things with fur, even fur as minimal as a cow, need hugs in my opinion. And I long to save each and every one of them from death by hug starvation.

So I’m sitting at the stop light, wondering how hard it would be to catch a baby billy goat and how pissed he’d be about getting hugged and it occurred to me…

I think I understand the Furries. And that’s just wrong.

(I really do want to hug every animal I see. And I have no clue if cows are furry. Please enlighten me.)

9 thoughts on “This one isn’t about a baby. Unless it’s furry.

1. You crack me up 🙂 I’ll admit I too am a bit obsessed with hugs. My favorite part of the day is called HUG TIME where I attack my poor husband with hugs he can’t get away from. Although I’m not sure I’ve ever had the desire to hug a cow. I’m positive they are quite starved for hugs though so you’ve got an important niche to fulfill 🙂

My world would be perfect if I could make a business out of cow hugging.

2. Tabitha says:

Omg I want to hug animals too. Like, lions, bears, cows… the fuzzier the better honestly.

Have you seen this video of a lion reuniting with its trainers and giving them hugs? Makes me cry every. Time.

I adore this video. To have an animal as awesome and large and furry as a lion hug me would be heaven. I love fur. I love it.

3. Tabitha says:

Sorry, this one has audio and is much more complete.

4. Angelia says:

I’m a hugger too! Drives the hubby crazy! 😀 I dunno about cows though.

If men only knew that good hugs could get them a decent amount of action… 😀 And cows just look so lonely. They need hugs.

5. FYI- baby goats cry…and they sound like human babies….and it’s the cutest thing ever. I actually have hugged and snuggled a baby goat before, and it didn’t seem to mind for the first 3 minutes, then it got antsy. So next time you’re at the light, maybe you should put it in park and try it out!

My heart is melting. And I’m so jealous. And if I ever do get out of my car to chase down a baby goat and I end up in jail for trespassing and whatnot, you can count on getting a call from me, Amy Lynn 😀

Just for the record, cows do NOT like for you to ride them like a horse. I tried to ride a black cow one time and it promptly threw me off. So watch out for that. 🙂

Watch out if try to hug a goat. They will try to eat your clothes!!

I would love to find out how you discovered that cows don’t like to be ridden like a horse. That’s got to be a great story.

7. Erica says:

Yes. Just, yes.

Right?

8. Miranda says:

I think there should definately be a govt instituted ‘Huganimals’ Day (get it, hug anim.. Nevermind)…. And the mascot of this new official holiday should totally be a penguin, because let’s not kid ourselves, they would truly be the most huggable animal out there. I deem it so 🙂

Miranda P. for President, I say!

9. I’m a hugger too! I’m trying to remember if there was any awkwardness before the hug when we met? I don’t think there was.

I have a tendency to hug first, ask questions later. Of if I sense that there *might* be awkwardness, I’ll just preface my hug with “I’m going to hug you now” lol.

Cows are mammals so they have hair, but I think it’s the same consistency of pig hair which is more wiry than furry. And animals smell bad, so I can’t get down with the furry love. But I will pet animals on the head….then promptly wash my hands.

Oh. I don’t like pig hair. And I saw the Easter Bunny at the mall the other day and that? Freaked me out.

Our hug was amazing because I’m pretty sure you came at me with arms wide open and I just walked right in 🙂